Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Very Own Sewing Machine!

I'm really excited.  Next week I start Intro to Sewing at Whipstitch - this way trendy sewing store on the Westside.  Have I mentioned that I love living on the Westside? When we left it was just becoming cool... in the past three years, it has become way cool.  Anyway, back on topic.  I've been sewing a bit with Kathy's old Kenmore that she got way back in 1978. 


Her machine looks just like this one... I'm too lazy to take a photo myself since it's dark and rainy and getting good lighting will be a challenge.  Photo courtesy of http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/

It's a great old machine.  Works really well, as far as I can tell.  However, I don't have all of the pieces and I eventually need to return it to her anyway.  So I decided that I should buy my very own sewing machine before I start class! 
Seriously, did you know how hard it is to choose a sewing machine?  Apparently simplicity is over-rated when it comes to the modern versions.  After an agonizing morning reading reviews and an informative call to Whipstitch, I made my decision.   Here she is:
She is the Brother CE-5000 PRW. The PRW stands for Project Runway.  I was a little leery of buying a machine associated with the show, it seemed gimmicky but I went with it.  I was mesmerizer by its snazzy features.  Fifty built in stitches!  Fifty!  (I think Kathy's has straight and zig-zag but I can't really get zig-zag to work.)  It's also a Consumer's Digest Best Buy.  I found mine refurbished on overstock.com for a great price and I had a 10% off coupon.  She will be here in 5 to 10 business days... Lets hope for closer to 5 or I will have to start class with the Kenmore after all.

2 comments:

  1. What a good find- I also recently left my engineering job to stay at home. And I have also taken up sewing! I finally un-boxed a sewing machine that I've had for over a year, and started making some pillows for the living room. I feel pretty safe sewing anything rectangular in shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous find!!! you soon will be creating so many beautiful things...I can almost see it!
    happy new and relaxing year to you!
    xx
    lila

    ReplyDelete