Friday, January 14, 2011

Cake

The in-laws are coming.  Tomorrow.  Yay!  I actually love my in-laws, they're really super fantastic people.  I couldn't have asked for a better family to marry in to.  They have their quirks like any family but, wow, I got lucky - a fantastic husband who has fantastic parents that make fantastic grandparents.

So, those "quirks".  Kathy is persnickety.  I think that's why I like her so much.  We're both persnickety.  Anyway, she gives the best gifts.  They're always good and always surprises (Mark insists on surprises).  Our birthdays also happen to be five days apart and next week.  I was so tickled when I found the perfect gift on a post Christmas Homegoods clearance.  I then ordered a perfect accompaniment to the perfect gift on Amazon.com.  BUT, thanks to Snowmageddon, UPS, and the US Mail for that matter, have not delivered to us in a week.  A WEEK!  So much for two day shipping.    Here's to hoping my packages come today.  Andy and I counted.  We have some 9 odd packages on their way to us, apparently via the Oregon Trail.

To make up for my half gift failure which was no fault of my own, I was going to head to my favorite bakery and buy her a birthday cake.  After about an hour of reading their long list of cakes and going back and forth between my favorite options, I decided that the four of us really don't need 30lbs of cake.  Not to mention that I don't need to spend $35 on a cake.

So, I baked a cake.  From a box.  It just didn't seem to rise like I hoped and the two layers stacked on top of each other looked pathetic. So, like any reasonable person would do, I baked another cake. From another box.  Chocolate. It looks better.  However, now in the works, is a massive four layer cake.

Excuse my food photography... needs work.

In order to finish cake-zilla, a trip to Publix is in order.  We need groceries so bad that Andy and I actually ate the uneven vanilla cake top for breakfast.  How pathetic is that?  It's freak snow storms like these that make me wish I was better at stocking up on frozen foods or really any foods.  Maybe I'll be a grown-up someday?

No comments:

Post a Comment