Tuesday, January 18, 2011

That Cake...

Andy and I are training for a 10k in March.  We're trying to eat reasonably.  That didn't stop us from finishing the birthday cake.

I made butter cream frosting for the first time.  I thought it would be enough to ice the cake and do some piping too.  It was not.  Two sticks of butter and 1/2 cup of shortening did not make enough icing to decorate with.  The frosting was tasty though.



I've been the anti-grocery-shopper lately.  The whole week of Snowmageddon, we survived on my sparse pantry and now I'm at it again.  Yesterday, I made this amazingly healthy dish that I surprisingly had all of the ingredients for.  (Why, you ask, do I have Kielbasa on hand? It was a BOGO at Kroger when I was making some black bean and sausage dish from Martha Stewart. Really good.  Really. Anyway, I figured it keeps for ever so maybe I would use the second one someday.  Today was that day.)  Eating reasonably, what?  Beside the fact that it was totally unhealthy, it was quite good.  I'm pretty sure Andy helped himself to thirds.

 Does anyone else make a huge mess in the kitchen? I'm usually pretty organized and keep stuff on the counters to a minimum and wash dishes as I go but I'm super messy.  Yesterday was worse than usual.  This is our kitchen, post mac and cheese. I was a disorganized mess. When dumping the cooked sausage into the mac and cheese, I dropped several greasy sausage pieces on the floor.  I burned all kinds of crap to the cook top.  (Don't get me started on hating the cook top. )  My apparently cracked measuring cup leaked milk all over the counter. Cleaning up was not fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment